In 1906-the Hydro Electric Power Commission was created to supply power originating at Niagara Falls, and in 1908 the contract was signed in agreement to such. In 1910 a special ceremony held in Ontario Canada celebrates 110,000 volts of power being delivered to municipalities via hydro. In 1914 at, Wasdell Falls the first generating station to be owned by HEPC was constructed, and in the early 1920s they themselves became electric distributors. By the late 1940s and 1950s HEPC was a force to be reckoned with. With the development of the Saint Lawrence Seaway, Saint Lawrence’s hydroelectric potential is developed thanks to HEPC working in conjunction with the American power authorities. By the early 1950s HEPC was responsible for transforming a large part of Canada.
The Mid 1900s to Present Day
In 1958, Queen Victoria and President Richard Nixon declare the R.H. Sanders Plant in Ontario “in service”. The other Half of this effort resides in New York. In 1962 things would change forever. A 25 megawatt demonstration of nuclear power would be operated by the Atomic Energy of Canada Limited and HEPC; and in 1968 the Douglas Point Nuclear Generating Station begins service. By 1970, with the exception of some remote communities, all of Ontario’s Power Systems, thanks to a province wide grid, are united and synchronized. And by the early 2000s the retail and wholesale electricity market’s creation was facilitated by Ontario’s three energy companies.
Ontario Canada has indeed been busy when it comes to the creation and delivery of power. From nuclear power to gas and oil, Ontario has been an industry leader and innovator. Currently in existence are Hydro One incorporated, the Ontario Energy Board and an Independent Market Operator to oversee Ontario’s energy concerns.